Have you ever wished that your smile were straighter or brighter? Are you embarrassed by your teeth? Does your smile have a noticeable cosmetic flaw, such as a gap, a chipped tooth, or misshapen teeth? We are lucky to live in world where the solutions to these problems are convenient and affordable. Cosmetic dentistry refers to dental work that improves the appearance of a person’s teeth, gums, or bite. Focusing on aesthetics like color, position, shape, size, and alignment, these procedures improve the appearance of a person’s smile. Some correct a minor problem while others give the smile a complete makeover. Although many of these procedures don’t address functional issues, they can still have a significant and valuable impact on a person’s life. Learn more about the many benefits of cosmetic dentistry below.
Benefits of Cosmetic Dentistry
Every smile is different, so the benefits of cosmetic dentistry vary from person to person. Are you hoping to straighten slightly crooked teeth? Would you like to mend a chipped tooth? Have you been hoping for a complete smile makeover? Depending on the state of your teeth and the procedure you choose, you could experience some or all of the following benefits of cosmetic dentistry:
- Cosmetic dentistry can boost your appearance. Let’s start with the most obvious and fundamental benefit: it will improve the appearance of your smile. No matter which procedure you choose, your smile will be more beautiful post-procedure. In some cases, this improvement will also help you look younger and/or healthier.
- Cosmetic dentistry can improve your self-confidence. An enhanced appearance often leads directly to improved self-confidence. Looking in the mirror becomes more enjoyable, and smiling for a photo is no longer stressful. Simple activities like meeting new people, going on dates, and attending parties may become easier due to your improved self-confidence. A smile is so much more than a smile when it impacts a person’s confidence and perhaps even their sense of self-worth.
- Cosmetic dentistry can enhance your career. During a job search, a person’s physical appearance and presentation can affect their ability
- Cosmetic dentistry can prevent dental damage.
Examples of Cosmetic Dentistry
Now that you know the benefits of cosmetic dentistry, you may be wondering about the various treatments available. Devices and procedures are available to improve the color, shape, size, and position of teeth. Your dentist can help you explore the pros and cons of each possibility, so that you can find a solution that fits your dental goals.
- Teeth Whitening: Using custom take-home trays or a professional in-office procedure, you can brighten your smile and remove stains caused by coffee, red wine, tobacco, and more.
- Veneers and Lumineers: Veneers and Lumineers are thin, color-matched, porcelain shells that are attached to the surface of teeth. They can treat a variety of cosmetic flaws, such as gaps, chips, stains, and misshapen teeth.
- Invisalign and ClearCorrect: Both Invisalign and ClearCorrect utilize clear, comfortable, removable aligners to straighten teeth over time. They can correct overcrowded, misaligned, and gapped teeth as well as bite problems. Many people prefer Invisalign and ClearCorrect to metal braces because they are inconspicuous, discreet, and easy to use.
- Bonding: Bonding involves the use of a color-matched, composite resin, which is bonded to the teeth to fix a flaw. For example, bonding can quickly and easily improve minor dental issues such as cracks, chips, and gaps.
- Snap-On Smile: A noninvasive and nonpermanent treatment, a Snap-On Smile is a quick and painless way to improve your smile. The removable appliance fits over the teeth, hiding flaws and improving the smile’s appearance.
To learn if you are a good candidate for these or other procedures, speak with your dentist. He or she may even be able to show you what your smile would look like after a cosmetic dental procedure using a Digital Smile Makeover, so that you can make an informed and confident decision.
If you’re interested in improving your smile, contact Wilkinson Dental if you live in or near Springfield, MO. We offer a variety of teeth whitening and straightening options including ClearCorrect, Invisalign, Lumineers, Veneers, and Snap-On Smile, and we would be happy to help you choose the right device for your needs. To schedule a consultation, please give us a call at 417-708-0556 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!