Should I get veneers? If you’re unsatisfied with your smile, you might ask yourself this question. The appeal of dental veneers is easy to understand. While they aren’t a cure-all, veneers do offer a quick, affordable fix for many common cosmetic dental issues. When considering whether or not to get veneers, it is helpful to have a basic understanding of what dental veneers are. You will also want to discover if veneers are an effective fix for the specific problems plaguing your smile. Finally, you’ll need to verify that you’re a good candidate for this technology.
Should I Get Veneers?
What Are Dental Veneers?
Crafted from porcelain or a composite resin, dental veneers are thin, custom-made shells that are bonded to the front of teeth to alter their shape, length, size, or color. Veneers can generally be applied in a visit or two, providing a quick fix that can make a major improvement in the look of your smile. Once in place, they require no special care and can last a decade or more.
Are Veneers a Good Solution for My Dental Dilemma?
Although veneers are not an appropriate treatment for every dental issue, they can be a highly effective way to correct many common dental dilemmas and revamp your smile. Veneers might be a good option if you suffer from one of the following:
- You struggle with stained or discolored teeth. When you are troubled by deep stains or discolorations that standard whitening treatments cannot budge, veneers can be used to cover the stained surface and create a brighter, whiter grin.
- You have teeth that are chipped, cracked, or broken. Veneers aren’t just used for cosmetic purposes; they also have restorative benefits. In fact, veneers provide a handy way to repair small chips, cracks, or breaks. When applied properly, a veneer will restore the tooth’s strength and provide a visually attractive repair.
- You are bothered by gaps in your teeth. If a gap between your teeth makes you shy about smiling, veneers can be placed to close the space.
- You have uneven, misaligned, or irregularly shaped teeth. Because they are custom-made, veneers can be crafted to correct many minor alignment issues to create a smile that is more uniform and even.
Am I a Good Candidate for Veneers?
If you believe that veneers could solve the dental issue that has been troubling you, then you’re off to a good start. However, the question still lingers: Should I get veneers? It is not enough to know that veneers can fix a problem; you also need to know that they are a good fit for you. Good candidates for veneers share the following characteristics:
- Have clear goals and realistic expectations. For great results, you should be able to pinpoint the factors that make you unhappy with your smile and clearly communicate them to your dentist.
- Possess sufficient healthy enamel. In many cases, applying veneers involves removing a thin layer of enamel, so you need to have enough healthy enamel to tolerate the procedure.
- Do not grind or clench their teeth. Grinding, gnashing, or clenching the teeth is known as bruxism, and it typically occurs while the sufferer is asleep. It is a behavior that can wear down both natural teeth and veneers, so this issue should be addressed before veneers are considered.
- Have a healthy mouth. While veneers do have both cosmetic and restorative functions, they are not a substitute for healthy teeth and gums. Veneers should never be used to mask serious dental problems. Any underlying issues with tooth decay or periodontal disease should be corrected before veneers are considered.
- Are committed to good oral hygiene practices. Although veneers do not require any special care, a good oral hygiene routine is vital for anyone who has them. A daily regimen of proper brushing and flossing is a must. Regular dental checkups are also important.
Should I get veneers? If you aren’t sure whether you would benefit from this technology, discuss your thoughts and concerns with your dentist. If you live in or near Springfield, Missouri, contact Wilkinson Dental to get started. We can help you explore your options, including both veneers and Lumineers. Just give us a call at 417-708-0556 or contact us online. We look forward to hearing from you!